Dhaka, Bangladesh (BBN)-The Asian Cricket Council Friday announced the itinerary for the forthcoming Asia Cup in Dhaka, with India facing host Bangladesh in the opening match on February 24.
The tournament, which will run until March 6, will be held in the Twenty20 international format for the first time and is expected to serve as a warm up for the ICC World Twenty20, to be held in India in March and April, reports the Saudi Gazette.
The mother of all battles- an India-Pakistan clash- will take place in Mirpur on February 27.
Afghanistan, United Arab Emirates, Hong Kong and Oman will play in a qualifying round for the Asia Cup from Feb. 19 to 22 in Fatullah, on the outskirts of Dhaka.
That will determine the qualifying nation which will join the four Test-playing countries, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
Bangladesh will host the event for the fifth time, with all matches scheduled to be held at Dhaka’s Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium.
FEBRUARY 24: Bangladesh vs. India;
FEBRUARY 25: Sri Lanka vs. qualifier;
FEBRUARY 26: Bangladesh vs. qualifier;
FEBRUARY 27: India vs. Pakistan;
FEBRUARY 28: Bangladesh vs. Sri Lanka;
FEBRUARY 29: Pakistan vs. qualifier;
MARCH 1: India vs. Sri Lanka;
MARCH 2: Bangladesh vs. Pakistan;
MARCH 3: India vs. qualifier;
MARCH 4: Pakistan vs. Sri Lanka;
MARCH 6: Final.
FORD TO COACH LANKA
Sri Lanka’s cricket board Friday confirmed it would rehire Graham Ford as head coach to help the national team defend its World Twenty20 title in India, after his English club announced his departure.
The 55-year-old South African previously coached Sri Lanka from 2012 until 2014 before taking over the reins at English county championship title-holder Surrey.
“The new board of Sri Lanka Cricket head-hunted Ford to be the new head coach and prepare the team for the World T20,” SLC official told AFP.
“His term will be for 45 months starting Monday.”
The contract period would also cover the 2019 World Cup hosted by England and Wales.
Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) declined to give further details of the contract.
Mascarenhas to quit as NZ bowling coach
The New Zealand cricket team is to lose its third bowling coach in five years with Dimitri Mascarenhas announcing Friday he will step down following next month’s tour by Australia.
The former England international, who took over the coaching position less than a year ago, said he was stepping down to spend more time with his family.
The 38-year-old follows former Black Cap Shane Bond and South Africa’s Allan Donald, who have also filled the role since early 2011.
In that time they have developed a bowling stable spearheaded by Trent Boult and Tim Southee, both top-10 Test bowlers, with Boult also the top-ranked ODI bowler.
Head coach Mike Hesson said he was sorry to be losing the Englishman.