Bamako, Mali (BBN)-A nurse and the patient he was treating have become the second and third people to die from Ebola in Mali.
The patient, a traditional Muslim healer in his 50s, had recently arrived from Guinea, reports BBC.
He had been treated by the nurse, 25, in the Malian capital, Bamako, at the Pasteur Clinic, which has now been placed in quarantine.
The deaths are unrelated to Mali’s first Ebola case, when a two-year-old girl died from the disease in October.
Nearly 5,000 people have been killed in the West African outbreak, mostly in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the outbreak a global health emergency.
The new cases in Mali follow the WHO’s confirmation that 25 of the 100 people who were thought to have come into contact with the two-year-old girl were being released from quarantine.
A child who survived the Ebola virus is fed by another survivor at a treatment centre in Hastings, on the outskirts of Freetown, on 11 November 2014.
The toddler’s case alarmed the authorities in Mali after it was found she had displayed symptoms whilst travelling through the country by bus, including the capital, Bamako, on her return from neighbouring Guinea.
Ebola was first identified in Guinea in March, before it spread to neighbouring Liberia and Sierra Leone. The WHO says there are now more than 13,240 confirmed, suspected and probable cases, almost all in these countries.
Cases have also emerged, though on a much smaller scale, in Nigeria, Senegal, Spain and the US.
Separately on Tuesday, it was confirmed that Morocco would no longer host the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations because of its fears over the Ebola outbreak.
Mali launched an emergency response in conjunction with the WHO when the girl’s situation came to light. Her family were among those released from quarantine on Monday.
Health department spokesman Markatie Daou said around 50 people were still under observation in Kayes, western Mali, and would be released in a week if they continued to display no symptoms.
Meanwhile, the virus is continuing to spread in Sierra Leone, with almost 300 new infections recorded in the last three days.