Kolkata, India (BBN) – This is one dish that completes a Bengali’s day.
The lovely spices that is added to the curry enhances the taste of the fish to such an extent that you tend to over eat, reports BBC.
2 tsp Coriander Seeds
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
2 Dried Hot Red Chiles
2 Whole Cloves
2 Green Cardamom Pods
1-inch Cinnamon Stick
1 kg Fish (cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces)
3/4 tsp Ground Turmeric
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tbsp Canola Oil
3/4 cup Onion (finely chopped)
1 tsp Fresh Ginger (grated and peeled)
1 Garlic Clove (minced)
1 Bay Leaf
1/4 cup Water
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Sugar
1 cup Plain Whole Milk Yogurt
HOW TO MAKE BENGALI FISH CURRY:
• Put all the ingredients of the spice mix in a grinder.
• Process until finely ground.
• Now rub turmeric powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt all over the fish pieces in a large bowl and toss well.
• Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
• Add half of the fish pieces in it and cook until fish is lightly browned.
• Remove the pieces from the pan.
• Repeat the same with remaining fish pieces.
• Now to prepare sauce, add finely chopped onions to the pan.
• Fry until tender. Add ginger, garlic, and bay leaf; fry for 2 minutes.
• Add ground spice mix; cook 2 minutes.
• Add in water, 1 teaspoon salt, and sugar. Stir properly.
• Remove pan from heat and gradually stir in yogurt.
• Cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
• Return fish pieces and accumulated juices to the pan.
• Cook over low heat for 5 minutes more.
• Discard bay leaf and serve with hot rice.