Dhaka, Bangladesh (BBN) – Grameenphone (GP), the country’s top mobile phone operator, in partnership with Evista Technologies, launched a new service — Grameenphone Studyline Service – in the capital, Dhaka on Thursday.

Studyline is a call centre-based service that provides callers education-related information over the phone, the company said.

Education Minister of Bangladesh Nurul Islam Nahid and Chairman of Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission Brig Gen (retd) Zia Ahmed were present at the launch as the chief guest and special guest respectively. Oddvar Hesjedal, chief executive officer of Grameenphone, and Syed Khairul Hassan, chief executive officer of Evista Technologies, were also present.

The service, first of its kind in the South Asian country, offers admission information on local schools, colleges and universities, admission procedures for renowned universities around the world, and information on standardized test like IELTS, SAT, GMAT, GRE, in addition to other relevant services.

“Studyline will be the most cost-efficient, time saving means to secure accurate information on queries related to education. What is more important is that information is available to anyone, anywhere in the country. No more will access to accurate information be centralised in Dhaka,” Hesjedal said in a press statement.

Norway’s telecom giant Telenor owns 62 percent of the GP, which was launched in 1997, while the remaining 38 percent is held by local Grameen Telecom.

BBN/SS/SI/AD-16October09-1:06 am (BST)