Shillong, India (BBN)-Interpol’s Dhaka unit has sent a red notice to India, requesting it to arrest the man who claims to be BNP leader Salahuddin Ahmed.

Ahmed, 54, who identified himself as a Bangladeshi national, a minister in the erstwhile Khaleda Zia-led BNP government and at present “joint secretary” of the Bangladesh Nationalist Party, was found allegedly “hanging around aimlessly” by some people in Shillong on Monday morning, reports Kolkata-based newspaper The Telegraph.

Yesterday, he had told some reporters who followed him to Shillong civil hospital that he was “abducted” in his country, but was “clueless” about how he landed in India.

Ahmed’s family had declared him “missing” since March 10.

Since Ahmed had no valid papers, identity proof or travel permit, he was arrested by Meghalaya police and booked under the Foreigners Act, said the reports published on May 13.

Meghalaya director-general of police Rajiv Mehta told The Telegraph over phone today that Interpol Dhaka has sent a red corner notice to India requesting it to arrest Ahmed.

But it was not clear if the notice was issued previously or after the “BNP leader” surfaced in India.

“The red alert notice was received by us (Meghalaya police) yesterday through the CBI and we have already responded to the CBI,” he said.

However, officials in the Meghalaya government said the identity of Ahmed was yet to be officially confirmed.

As he is still in hospital for medical treatment, interrogators said they would get the opportunity to interrogate him only when he is discharged.

“Officially, the identity of the individual has not been ascertained yet. We are waiting for his release from hospital to start interrogation,” East Khasi Hills superintendent of police M. Kharkrang said here today.

On discharge from hospital, Ahmed will be produced in court.

A police official said if Ahmed claims that he was abducted in his country, the question that emerges is why and how he landed here (Shillong) in India.

Shillong civil hospital cardiologist Dr D.J. Goswami, who is supervising Ahmed’s health condition, said he was physically and mentally stable though medical tests were being conducted to verify his health status.

“I have sent for many tests, especially when he (Ahmed) had briefed me about his history of kidneys and heart ailments. The test reports are awaited,” Goswami said.

He said Ahmed would be released from hospital only after the hospital authorities were satisfied that he was physically and mentally fit.