Dhaka, Bangladesh (BBN) – At least five Bangladeshi nationals were among those killed after two boats carrying about 400-500 migrants sank off Libya, the ministry of foreign affairs of Bangladesh confirmed.
The ministry said on 27 August 2015, around 2:00 a.m. a boat carrying the migrants including reportedly 43 Bangladeshis capsized off the Libyan Coastal Town of Zuwara located around 300 k.m west of Tripoli, while crossing the Mediterranean Sea.
A Bangladesh Embassy team led by Counsellor (labour) is coordinating medical and humanitarian support, the ministry said in a press statement in Dhaka on Friday.
“They have initially reported five dead and two missing among the Bangladeshis who were on the ill-fated boat,” it noted.
The migrants were rescued by the Libyan Coast Guards and extended treatment facilities. The rescued Bangladeshis include four families with children. So far, all Bangladesh Nationals admitted in hospital have been released after first aid.