Florida, US (BBN)-A man in Florida is fighting for his life after the electronic cigarette he was smoking randomly exploded.
His sister was lying in bed when she heard the blast go off, she told WINK News.
She rushed to the room to find her brother lying on the floor and covered in soot.
“I found my brother not breathing, with his whole face burned and his neck burned,” Ema Richardson said. “[He was] trying to throw up a little or maybe he was gasping for air.”
Authorities rushed the man, Evan Spahlinger, to a Miami hospital.
Doctors have since placed the 21-year-old in a coma to alleviate his pain, FOXNews.com reports.
It is unclear what exactly caused the device to go off. Firefighters suspect the built-in lithium battery is to blame.
The mouthpiece of the e-cigarette is believed to have gone down the man’s throat, where it then exploded once again, Heather Nauert reported on Fox and Friends Wednesday.
Now, his family says everyone should think twice before smoking e-cigarettes.
“It was the most traumatic experience, I think, of my life,” Richardson said. “Luckily I was here.”
“We want people to know the risk and dangers. Had Evan known, maybe he wouldn’t have chosen to smoke the electronic cigarette.”