Dhaka, Bangladesh (BBN) – The BBN (Bangladesh Business News) has prepared the morning news highlights compiling reports, published by different newspapers and news portals in Bangladesh.
IFC, ADB and IDB to provide $210m to develop Bangladesh power sector
Three international development agencies are set to provide $210 million loan to develop a private sector gas-fired power plant to help Bangladesh address severe power shortages. The three agencies – International Finance Corporation (IFC), Asian Development Bank (ADB) and Islamic Development Bank (IDB) — have offered the loan at LIBOR (London Inter-bank Offered Rate) plus 4.40 per cent for 15 years. The loan will be used for development of the Bibiyana II 341MW gas-fired power plant, one of the largest independent power projects in Bangladesh. Summit Industrial and Mercantile Corporation Ltd (SIMCL) owns 80 per cent of this project and the rest 20 per cent is owned by US conglomerate General Electric.
Home boss gets death threats
State Minister for Home Asaduzzaman Khan and 6 notable personalities received death threats today from a militant outfit. Al Qaeda Ansarullah Bangla Team-13 sent the letter by registered post to AK Azad Chowdhury, former Dhaka University Vice Chancellor, Amjad Ali, acting proctor of the university, told The Daily Star. The letter was received at the former VC’s Dhanmondi residence around 2:45pm added Amjad Ali, who also got the threat.
BSTI: No harmful ingredient in Maggi
Bangladesh Standards and Testing Institute (BSTI) authorities have declared that Nestle’s Maggi and four other brands of noodles, manufactured in Bangladesh, were not harmful. The regulatory organisation to monitor quality of products and services in Bangladesh, did not detect any ingredient above harmful levels, said BSTI Director Kamal Prasad Das. The four other brands tested are Kallol Thai Food’s Mama, Ifad Multi Product’s Ifad Eggy, Natore Agro’s Mister and New Zealand Dairy’s Doodles.
Nestle terms Maggi as safe, Delhi govt defies
Delhi government has defied the Nestle India’s claim on Maggi noodles terming its “unsafe” while Kerala has ordered a pullout of the products from government-run outlets, strengthening the country-wide scrutiny of the product for high content of lead and monosodium glutamate. Nestle India has claimed that it got samples of the noodles tested in an external laboratory as well as in-house and the product has been found “safe to eat” with lead levels within the permissible levels for consumption, reports PTI.
Sensex tanks 661 points on RBI’s cautious stance, drought fears
The benchmark BSE Sensex plunged by 661 points on Tuesday to 27,188.38 as RBI took a cautious stance on the economic recovery even as it cut policy rates by 25 bps, while forecast of a deficient monsoon added to the rout. The Reserve Bank of India cut interest rate by 0.25 per cent for the third time this year but hinted there may not be any more cuts in the near-term sending stock markets in a tizzy. Inflation, however, still remains a worry for the bank as it expects price rise to remain subdued till August before rising to 6 per cent by January 2016, reports the Press Trust of India.
Bangladesh receives $1.32bn remittance in May
The flow of inward remittances increased slightly in May from that of the previous month ahead of the Holy Ramadan, officials said Tuesday. The remittances from Bangladeshi nationals working abroad were estimated at US$1.32 billion in May 2015, up by $21.40 million from the level of the previous month. In April last, the remittances stood at $1.30 billion. It was $1.21 billion in May, 2014.
Bangladeshi trafficking victims will be brought back in a month
After verification, Bangladeshi trafficking victims will be brought back to the country in a month, Foreign Secretary Shahidul Haque said today. Bangladesh missions in the three Southeast Asian countries – Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia – remain very active over the issue, the secretary said at a press conference. He was briefing regional meeting on “irregular migration” through the sea held in Thailand on May 29.
7 burnt as bus firebombed again in Bangladesh
At least seven passengers of a bus sustained burn injuries when miscreants firebombed the vehicle in Comilla, an eastern district of Bangladesh, early Thursday.
Blatter ‘under investigation in US’
Fifa president Sepp Blatter is being investigated by US officials as part of their inquiry into corruption at the world football body, US media say. The news came hours after Mr Blatter announced that he was stepping down from his role, reports BBC. US prosecutors launched a criminal inquiry last week, with seven Fifa officials arrested in Switzerland, part of a group of 14 people indicted. Two days after the arrests, Mr Blatter was re-elected president of Fifa. However, he said on Tuesday that it appeared the mandate he had been given “does not seem to be supported by everyone in the world”.